Sunday, April 12, 2009

Finding Cubist Painting Inspirations

I've been thinking about painting, but doing other things instead. I'm really not procrastinating, I just haven't built up the inspiration critical mass yet. I do have a showing coming up at Cafe Lulu really soon though, although I think I'm going to do some kind of print show.

Anyhow this weekend instead of painting, I dug out my old Nikon CoolPix 995 digital camera, and even though I have "better" cameras it's really more fun using this one. I recently picked up a new wide angle lens for the camera and was anxious to experiment with it. So I did a little photo field-trip with the family at the Milwaukee Mitchell Park Domes. I think about half the people there also had camera, and as I imagined us all desperately hoping to get a unique and memorable shot it filled me with futility, and sucked the originality and joy from my idea. We strolled around anyhow. Amateur photographers jostling out of each other's way.

Personally I like the desert world the most, I don't know that I even fully understand why. It just makes me feel at ease. Nearing the end of the desert dome we parked ourselves in the little gazebo, and I abstractly started pointing my camera in different directions snapping random shots when I realized there was some amazing stuff above the gazebo roof. A massive cactus that had a wonderfully organic cubist feel. I guess it was a reminder to myself to be observant and aware.













Bookmark and Share

No comments: